Sunday, May 16, 2010

Meditation Rundown: Part 1

I rarely have a moment by myself. Running gives me a chance to be me and let my mind run with my feet. Long runs are especially meditative. I always think of something really deep or clever when I’m out pounding the earth.

However, it seems like as soon as my run is over, I lose whatever brilliant idea I was blessed with. So I paid special attention this weekend and made mental notes on two different runs – one with an iPod and one without. The following is part one of my experience experiment.

1. (00:01) Okay . . . I’m doing it. Felling pretty good. I’m gonna make it. I might even go 2 hours.
2. (00:03)These flowers are beautiful . . . God is amazing. I love the . . . hey is that the ice cream man? I wonder if they’ll be going to my house. I hope Ryan has some cash to get the kids a popsicle.
3. (00: 10) I’m making good time! I bet I could run to church faster than I can get the kids into the car and drive there. I feel like Wonder Woman!
4. (00:15) Why did I bring my iPod? These songs are completely throwing off my rhythm. I suppose the music is a distraction. A distraction from what? From myself? What’s wrong with me that I can’t be by myself?
5. (00:20) Out of more than 100 songs, John Mayer’s rendition of “Route 66” is the only song with a running rhythm. Okay, there’s something to this iPod thing. I think I might be running faster.
6. (00:21) Nope not running faster, just slightly downhill. Darn these bubble lens sunglasses. They make everything look wonky.
7. (00:40) Yes almost there. Checking my time . . . What! Not even an hour yet?! I don’t think I’m gonna make it!
8. (I’ve stopped looking at my time) I wonder if they'd let me take a nap in that dog-shaped bouncy house?
9. There is something a little ironic about enjoying “Baby Got Back” while exercising. Even though I don’t have much “Back,” the little jogging jiggle makes me giggle. I could like, so totally be a rapper girl . . . seriously.
10. I’m not waiting for the crosswalk with these other jokers. I feel a little cool leaving them standing on the curb. Eat my dust! Did that boy who looks just like the chunky freckle-faced kid from “The Sandlot” just call me lady. “That Lady’s got the right idea” he declared and followed me off the curb. I’m wearing a hat and wrap glasses – wrinkles completely covered. When did I turn into a Lady instead of a girl, or even chick! Sigh.
11. I’d rather be down there rafting on the Willamette River instead of running up here on this bridge.
12. Where can I stop for a drink and a drain?
13. I should burn up some more time looking for drinking fountains.
14. P.U. Only one sip before the smell of feces and blue chemical makes me dry heave.
15. Ah, this one smells much better. Refreshing. Time to head straight to church (the finish line).
16. What? I’m at a fork in the road and my sidewalk takes me the wrong way! The wrong way! Do I risk death by car smashing? Is that crazy? Coincidence – the song playing is “You may be right. I may be crazy.”
17. I feel like jumping in this river rather than run the wrong way! Or maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to stop and take a picture.
18. Only minutes left and I think the universe is trying to send me a message via crosswalk signals. Stop. Walk. Okay!
19. John Legend is crooning, “This time we’ll take it slow. Take it slooooooow. Sloooooowww. This time we’ll take it slow.” Sing it Johnny!
20. The house of God! “Be still and know that I am God!” Bring on the stillness. Phew!




STRAWBERRY MOJITO CREPE BURRITO
Fresh and light, these crepes are great for breakfast or any other meal. After a hard workout, vitamin C in the strawberries and protein in the Greek yogurt and eggy crepes are just what the muscles crave.

Ingredients:
1 pint strawberries
2 sprigs mint/ 1 tbsp finely chopped
1 lime – zest and juice
2 tbsp honey

2 eggs, beaten
1 can fat free evaporated milk (or 1 ½ cups milk)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp honey

1 cup Greek yogurt

Direction:
1. Slice strawberries and add mint, lime juice and zest, and honey. Mix well and let sit to macerate (get juicy) while you work on crepes
2. Mix eggs, milk, whole wheat flour, oil, and honey in a medium bowl.
3. Heat non-stick skillet, lightly grease. Remove pan from heat. Spoon a scant ¼ cup batter into skillet, tip and turn to spread batter thinly all around pan. Return to medium high heat. Brown one side only for just couple minutes.
4. Turn crepe out onto towel or paper towel.
5. Place crepe on plate. Fill with a spoonful of yogurt, large spoonful of strawberry mixture, and fold burrito style.
6. Once all the crepes are full (8 – 10), drizzle leftover juice over crepes and serve.

Make 8 - 10

No comments:

Post a Comment