I declare eggs to be just about the easiest, most delicious, most wonderful source of protien ever. Eggs have saved me on a number of occasions . . .
1.when my spinach is wilting and can no longer hold its own as a salad - throw it in some scrambled eggs!
2. when I've neglected to pull the dinner meat out of the freezer - out come the eggs!
3. when I've run out of bread for lunch box sandwiches - everyone's getting a hard boiled egg!
4. when the coffee jitters set in and I need some protein - fry up an egg!
I could go on and on.
It wasn't so long ago that I was facing crisis 1 and 2. Thus the Potato Pepper Frittata was born. The potatoes and peppers made it in because I just happened to have some pre-washed potatoes and my peppers were looking a bit wrinkled.
POTATO PEPPER FRITTATA
Born out of necessity and expiration. Loved for its deliciousness and prep-ease.
1 red pepper
2 big handfuls of spinach
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp Italian parsley
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Handful of Feta Cheese crumbles (optional)
1. Dice onion, red pepper, and garlic. Saute in an oven safe skillet with canola oil until onions are translucent and potatoes and peppers are tender.
2. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl. You can include all the yolks but I prefer to go 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites to cut down on un-needed calorie and dietary crud. Add salt and pepper and whip with whisk.
3. Roughly chop spinach and finely dice parsley. Add both to skillet and saute till spinach is wilted.
4. Pour eggs into the skillet, push around with a rubber spatula til eggs are about half cooked (not scrambled).
5. Place entire skillet into the oven at 375 for about 15 minutes. However, time may vary greatly based on the degree of doneness at which the eggs went into the oven. Test with tooth pick.
6. Slice and serve like a pie. If you like feta cheese, throw some on!
So easy a man could make it . . . for a woman . . . who might have a child or two . . . on Sunday . . . which happens to be Mother's Day. He could even make a pot of coffee at the same time and serve it to her whilst in bed. Just sayin'.